Home > Übergroße Foren > Entertainment and Hobbies > Spring is almost here. Any gardeners out there? Letztes Thema Nächstes Thema
Wechseln zu:
Spring is almost here. Any gardeners out there?
Autor
Nur gültig
für eingeloggte Mitglieder
Veröffentlicht am Mon, Mar 13, 2006 21:44

As spring approaches, we gardners may begin to show signs of anxiety. We want to plant the tomatoes now! But we must be patient. Maybe the peas can go in soon. What, exactly, do they mean by as soon as the ground can be worked? Isn't that the 1st day above freezing?
So, how about it gardeners? What do you like to grow? Any good tips to pass on? Tell me something about your garden, and I'll tell you something about mine!!!

Antworten / kommentieren      Zitieren      Missbrauch melden   Lesezeichen und Anteil
Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Fri, May 19, 2006 00:22

I love to grow tomatoes! My piggies love to eat them, too! We always have plenty-some for me & piggies, friends, neighbors in the town down from the farm, and I even brought some in to one of my doctors once. He was telling me that he missed his mom growing them, so next time I saw him I brought in a bag, enough for the entire office!

I tasted a fresh grown potato one year and it was fantastic! I like to try different things, too. Radishs are easy to grow and great to add to a nice salad or eat right from the garden after washing!

Antworten / kommentieren      Zitieren      Missbrauch melden   Lesezeichen und Anteil
Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Tue, May 16, 2006 10:49

The first day above freezing refers to air temperature. This doesn't mean that the ground below is not frozen, similar to the fact that the ground does not freeze at the same time as the first day of freeze in fall.

I grow everything from vegetables and fruits to flowers. I always try something new each year. This year is peanuts.. ..last year was cotton; just to see what it looks like.

A really good tip I got was to apply a 12-12-12 slow release fertilizer to the entire garden and then do the initial tilling. This cleans out the garden of the weeds, mixes the fertilizer, and mixes up the dirt.

Starbucks will give you the used coffee grounds for free just for the asking. These are great to add to condition the soil around the plants.

Hope this helps...tell me about your garden and any tips you can offer.