Home > Übergroße Foren > DATING > Am I the only one that finds it odd that Letztes Thema Nächstes Thema
Wechseln zu:
Am I the only one that finds it odd that
Autor
Nur gültig
für eingeloggte Mitglieder
Veröffentlicht am Thu, Sep 22, 2005 09:32

there are so many profiles that have absolutely no listing for all of the choices "no preference"

All sorts of reasons that one might select as interpretation through assumption:

a) not important enough to the profile maker to complete the selections (it might take several seconds out of "chat" time

b) the handle really doesn't care if the person they contact is married, in a relationship, divorced, widowed or single (Why?)

c) the person behind the profile has no concept of what body type "does it for them" (All relative isn't it?)

Any additions, comments...

Antworten / kommentieren      Zitieren      Missbrauch melden   Lesezeichen und Anteil
Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Fri, Oct 16, 2009 19:49

In my opinion, members whose profile lack too much information are hiding their true desires. As for pictures...

Few years ago I went out with a man who sent me picture after picture of himself. In person he was at least 15 yrs older and 20lbs heavier than in the pics. I recently came across his profile again with the same pictures from back then.

Nur gültig

Antworten / kommentieren      Zitieren      Missbrauch melden   Lesezeichen und Anteil
Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Thu, Sep 11, 2008 15:31

One question I have about what I have noticed on profiles were preferences have been selected is why do men or a guess women too come to a BB or large size dating site and only mark that they are interested in slim people? I have noticed that a lot when I have searched in my area.

Also hey tonydallas you are a gorgeous! Do you ever make it to Kansas?

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Sat, Sep 08, 2007 15:46

Hey football guy, you are adorable! Hope you swing by Tennessee some day!

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Tue, Dec 06, 2005 16:51

Hi Tony, thank you for the wink by the way and just wanted to say nice message. :)

silken

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Mon, Dec 05, 2005 11:47

i referred back to my profile and noticed all of the "no preference" boxes checked. in my case, it doesn't matter how much you make, what you do for work, or what size you are. i am a fool for a beautiful smile and pretty eyes, it doesn't matter what color of eyes. i do prefer blue or hazel eyes, but that gives off the impression that you are only looking for a person with that color of eyes.

and, its whats on the inside that makes a woman beautiful. a woman could have the body, hair and eyes of Elizabeth Hurley, but, if she has the personality of a brick or Paris Hilton, i would not be attracted to her. looks only go so far.

my favorite actress is Claire Forlani. i fell totally in love with her in that movie Meet Joe Black. it has nothing to do with her figure. she could weigh 450lbs for all i care. its her eyes and smile that totally captivates me about her.

Nur gültig

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Sun, Dec 04, 2005 08:59

Hi Dragoninrain...

It all basically boils down to the individual is looking for a fling and is not serious about a relationship. It's sad to think that there are many out there who don't care about an individual's feelings and are only focused on their lust and satisfaction.

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Mon, Nov 28, 2005 17:46

Dee738 write:
Well, Aerinah, from my experience, the ones that simply say "like to have fun" are pretty much looking for only one thing, which to me is a turn off.

Don't get me wrong, when it's the right person, I love knowing that they want to be intimate with me as much as they can. But there has to be other things to go along with it.

And DL, people that post old photos are doing a disservice both to themselves and everyone else. It's one thing when someone seems to look a bit different from their pictures because they have such a vibrant and vital personality it kinda makes them glow or something in person....it's another when they look completely different. Yes, you do want your best foot forward in a profile, but don't put it so far in front of you it gets cut off.

Do I ever agree with you! Also, with the wide availabililty of picture phones, digital cameras, film developing on CD, etc. why not post a nice, clear picture?

Looks obviously arent the only thing but it is important.

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Thu, Nov 17, 2005 23:47

There could be many different reasons, or combination of reasons for this. The most obvious explanation(to me) is curiosity. Most dating sites are free to join, and people just want to have a look around (don't ask me how I know this).

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Thu, Nov 17, 2005 15:13

Well, Aerinah, from my experience, the ones that simply say "like to have fun" are pretty much looking for only one thing, which to me is a turn off.

Don't get me wrong, when it's the right person, I love knowing that they want to be intimate with me as much as they can. But there has to be other things to go along with it.

And DL, people that post old photos are doing a disservice both to themselves and everyone else. It's one thing when someone seems to look a bit different from their pictures because they have such a vibrant and vital personality it kinda makes them glow or something in person....it's another when they look completely different. Yes, you do want your best foot forward in a profile, but don't put it so far in front of you it gets cut off.

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Thu, Nov 17, 2005 13:57

This thread is a good one; I've also encountered the same frusterations with people, men as well as women, who do not know how to complete a profile. I've come to believe that the reasons for not being especially forthcoming or specific with information might have to do with a few things. Maybe the person has never learned to communicate properly, maybe they aren't even serious about the website, maybe they just don't consider it important enough, maybe they're hiding somthing. There are probably innumerable reasons for a lack of information. I'm fairly sure that these "people" are, primarily, the non-paying "lurkers" who are simply bored and looking for attention. Then, again, some of them are simply ignorant clods.

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Wed, Nov 16, 2005 13:13

there are some qualities I really have no preference; things such as education level and income don't mean a lot, I know people who haven't graduated high school but are smarter than I hope to be, and know people educated who would be called "educated fools". Sorry but I do have a choice for body type however. I am annoyed by girls or anyone who misrepresents themselves ie, lie, by posting a picture ten or fifteen years old.
what do you think about those??

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Tue, Nov 15, 2005 06:59

I've been wondering about something for a while, and I just realized this thread is the perfect place to bring it up.

So many men describe their interests in a way that I find so vague as to be downright stupid. I can't tell you how many profiles I've seen that say things like "I like to have fun" or "I enjoy life".

Well no sh*t. Is there anyone out there who doesn't like to have fun? The real question is, what do you consider 'fun', and does it overlap at all with what I think is fun?

My all-time favorite so far is one guy who said "I like to do things." Man, it just doesn't get any more uninformative and vacuous than that. Did he really think he was saying something useful?

A friend of mine told me that any time a guy puts something like "likes to have fun" or "enjoys life" in his profile, it really means he's just looking for sex. Is that true?

That strikes me as pretty lame, but at least that way these stupid empty phrases would at least have SOME meaning...

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Mon, Nov 14, 2005 15:09

Now you guys had me checking my profile to see how many "No Preference" I have down LOL

Him (What I have listed as a No Preference Listing)

Has children
Body Type
Hair Color
Eye Color
Physical Appearance
Smoking
Drinking
Highest Education
Occupation
Religious Beleifs

Seems alot however,

I more than likely won't date a guy with a 15 yr old kid...because let's face it Im 25... but if he had a 2 year old...that's different. So I can't say "no kids" . I also find several body types attractive mostly based on a persons personality. Hair color and Eye Color? Wow that's REALLY picky! Physical appearance? Well what one may find attractive the next may not...smoking and drinking. This is a tough one.. some think that 1 cigarette a week isn't being a heavey smoke...same with drinking.. it's just kind of subjective. Occupation? As long as you have one I couldnt care! Religious Belefs...dont care..as long as if we dont share the same ones we can respect each others choices. And Education..again..not an issue. I never graduated highschool! Yet I have a degree in Criminil Psychology, and am attending College again for Journalism come fall..so it means squat.

Anywhoodles...yeah... I agree with the others you'd really be picky if you had all of those things filled in specifically.

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Sun, Nov 13, 2005 05:56

I agree with everything you said, Dee. On my profile, I filled out everything that was important to me, and I suspect (or at least hope!) that this is what most people do.

I don't only date guys with a particular hair or eye color (and I find it ludicrous that anyone would do so), so I put "no preference" for those sections. I am not really attracted to skinny guys, so I selected everything except slim, slender, etc. in that section.

I do have some opinions about religion - for example, I don't want to date someone who is a very devout Christian and who would expect me to convert - but I put "no preference" there because I didn't want to exclude anyone who might identify himself with one of the listed faiths but isn't too religious for me.

So those are just some examples of what preferences I did or did not select, and why.

I have to admit it annoys me when men don't bother to fill out the free-form sections on themselves and/or what they're looking for. The truth is, everyone has preferences, and if you don't give some clue what you're like and you're looking for, either no one is going to contact you, or you're going to waste a lot of time with people who aren't your type.

Just my opinion...

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Fri, Sep 23, 2005 07:54

Well, I can only speak for myself here.

I only indicated my preference on marital status, and age. To be honest, depending on the man, age is a gray area as well.

The reason is that none of those categories addresses what I look for in person. I have been attracted to skinny men, to average men, to teddy bears, and whatever you call the BHM equivalent of SSBBW's.

Attraction for me is so much more than physical attributes. As I have stated on other threads, I have known men who from a purely visual standpoint (and I don't want to appear mean here) didn't overly impress me in the looks department. Then I got to know them, and wondered how I missed that spark, that "je ne sais quois" that made my heart flutter.

I have also met men whose appearance made my toes curl, and when I got to know them, their personalities were absolutely flat, or what is far worse, the spirit was downright ugly.

Bottom line is, in my experience, I need to speak with the person, to get to know them before I know if they are attractive or not to me. Just because the automatic profile filler thinks I should specify physical attributes doesn't mean I will. Granted, I also filled in the "free form" section of the profile stating what I am looking for instead. I'm actually more off-put by people that put nothing, or just one line in the "In my own words" sections, than by someone who doesn't check off the boxes.